We had a Community Day today at church. It was such a wonderful experience. Members go out into the community to serve and help others do anything from yard work to cleaning- whatever they may need some assistance with for the day.
I started off at a cute little old man's house. His name was Mr. Layne. All he asked for us to do is wash his windows. After we finished, we sat and talked for a while.
He was so excited to have someone there to help him and to talk to him. He told us about a family who used to go to Northside. It seemed like they basically adopted Mr. Layne into their family. Every Wednesday at 9am, the father Tom goes to pick him up and take him to breakfast. They then run any errands that Mr. Layne needs to do- go to the grocery, the bank, the doctor, etc. The oldest son goes by to visit often, even though he is in college. He attends their family functions and they often take trips to Lynchburg to visit the college-aged children and go to dinner. It was very touching to see how much this family's love and time meant to Mr. Layne. What an amazing family to give so much!
I then headed back to the church to help in the kitchen. We made baked ziti, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, chicken pot pie, cookies and soup along with bagels and muffins for several families in need. I was fortunate enough to get to deliver 5 of the boxes full of delicious food.
It was a wonderful day of giving! The whole experience touched me as much as, if not more than, the families we helped today. I am so blessed and so fortunate; I need to share with and do for others a lot more than I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment